Saturday, April 14, 2012

DIY laundry soap

So I decided to make my own laundry soap. Every time I went to the store they were out of Super washing soda, I went tonight and bought 3 boxes!  After researching different recipes I decided to change a few things. I HATE the way the fels naptha smells. I was told by a friend that the smell doesn't stay on the clothing. But I did not want to smell it every time I had to wash clothing! 

I found about 3 recipes that I like and changed them up a little. First I busted out my handheld electric food processor ( the perk of working for Williams-Sonoma for a long long time) I use this to grate big blocks of cheese. It worked great for the bar soap. I used 3 bars of Yardley soap that I got for $1 at Dollar tree. Then added the borax, super washing soda and baking soda. here is the recipe I did a triple batch. 

2 cups of soap flakes ( I used 3 bars of grated Yardley bar soap) 
1 cup of borax
1 cup of super washing soda
1 cup of baking soda 

It said to use 1 tbs in a front loader washer and 1 cup for a top loader. I used more then a tablespoon. My Brain wont allow me to do that so I used more... ha 

UPDATE: after using this a few times, I am not happy with the overall smell once the clothing is dry. So I am adding a small amount of regular soap with it. This works SO good on making dingy clothing look new again. I have a zebra sweater that I LOVE, it was looking a little gross and dingy. So I soaked (using the soak setting) it in my DIY laundry soap in the washer and it looks brand new!! 


Clean on, My friends! 






No comments:

Post a Comment